The relevance (or lack thereof) of Vastu Shastra to modern building designs has never been a more contentious debate in architectural circles. On the one hand, well-known architects like as Charles Correa and Geoffrey Bawa have prominently used Vastu Shastra in a variety of public projects. In reaction to local pundits’ Vastu-dosh fear-mongering, most modern architects adamantly reject the truth of Vastu — and love to whine about their ‘believing’ customers ruining their design for ‘Vastu-compliance.
Vastu has been a part of Indian subcontinental culture for over 8000 years, and much of what is marketed as Vastu Shastra today seems to focus on profit and ideology rather than problem solving.
The essence of a decent abode can be summarized as follows:
- Given that the building is durable and functional, dwellings that are beneficial to the bodily and psychological well-being of its inhabitants are chosen above those that are not.
- The essence of a respectable dwelling is as follows: houses that are durable and helpful, as well as favorable to the physical and mental well-being of their occupants, are chosen over residences that are not.
- A house, in essence, is a cover that shelters its inhabitants from the excesses of nature while simultaneously keeping them secure and comfortable. Home to humans and 8.7 million other species, Earth is technically a magnetic, solar-powered natural satellite.
- The Sun is the primary source of energy for nearly all human activities on Earth. An efficient structure makes the most of the sun. Good planning finds a balance between human activities.
- It is better to position the least utilised parts in the most heated (directly exposed to sunlight) areas of the house, and the most used areas in the less heated, more comfortable zones.
Home’s psychological effects
Because the home is where a person is most exposed and vulnerable, any design decision is likely to have a psychological impact on one’s subconscious. As a result, the elements of one’s visual field must be properly curated in order to encourage prosperity and enjoyment.
Jung’s psychology suggests that although some symbols, such as the phoenix, may seem improbable, all human beings share universal symbols…
Even if a youngster has never seen a snake or a spider, the sight of one frightens them.Given this, displaying a mountain image at a workplace appears to be a psychologically-aware choice rather than a superstition.
Cranking doors need fixing if they look like graffiti.. This subtle but persistent presence of disorganisation and neglect may inadvertently permeate other aspects of life.
Certain emotions are more suited to certain jobs than others. Thus, while a pair of swans may be appropriate for a bedroom, they are clearly inappropriate for a business conference. The key to establishing a ‘positive’ atmosphere is to ensure that the interior space evokes the same emotions as the activities that occur within it.
Vastu Shastra Myths
This is the canonical text of traditional Indian architecture
This guide devoloped for people who have built their own home with community help. It has no ‘minimum’ criteria to fulfill as a mandate.
Vastu is the logical explanation of scientific facts and truths.
- The majority of it emerged as a result of climatic and social science research and testing.
- Some of it is based on superstition and fear-mongering, which pundits use to exploit the defenceless.
- Some of it defies logic: it cannot be confirmed or refuted using existing scientific procedures. Some applications offer significant subjective benefits but no scientifically assessed benefits.
Vastu Shastra is universal.
it is region-specific, which implies that each site has its own Vastu. What is effective in India will not be effective other countries. What is effective in Karnataka may not be effective in Rajasthan, and vice versa.
Vastu Shastra is only concerned with architectural design.
There are several Vastu-Shastras that deal with the art of building houses, temples, villages, and cities. Vastu Shastra includes the ability to create dwellings, temples, communities, and cities.
Vastu Shastra is an esoteric science understood by a rare few great people
Most self-proclaimed gurus in this field now target weak, fearful middle-aged businesspeople and their extended families. Vastu Shastra guidelines are created for laypeople with no prior understanding of design or planning, and are intended to be used as guiding principles only.
Vastu Shastra has the key to life succes
Its benefits are often similar to healing with a placebo drug. If you really believe in it, you can enjoy the psychological benefits of having a ‘vastu-compliant’ home; But if it’s not based on meteorology, don’t expect anything else
Many Vastu concepts in use today, on the other hand, are founded on the fundamental idea of plenty of land and plenty of space between built-up areas. Vastu Shastra ignores technological advancements such as multilayer glass panels, computational methods for energy and light modelling, artificial air purifiers, and so on.
While Vastu Shastra has a solid foundation in natural laws, much of it has been misunderstood in an act of blind faith and dogma propagation. There are still not enough architects to go around, and everyone who wants to build a house should be allowed to use the same architectural concepts.
A new Vastu Shastra is required for modern times, one that is founded on the concepts of climate science and psychology, and is concerned with the well-being of individuals who occupy it as well as the Earth as a whole
Content Writer – KMHP MARKETING REALTORS
Kalamassery – Cochin
- Fresh Beginnings: Exploring the Allure of New Homes - March 4, 2024
- Quality Living Starts Here: A Guide to the Best Residential Construction Companies - March 2, 2024
- Decoding Dollars: Navigating Home Construction Costs Like a Pro - March 2, 2024