One of the first Civil engineers in Kerala who venture out into the traditional Indian architecture – ‘Vastu Vidhya’ ( VASTU SASTHRA KERALA ). A proven academician worked as a faculty member/ consultant engineer for the one and only premier institution for Vastu Vidhya in the Government Sector – ‘Vastuvidhya Gurukulam’ till November 2016. For the last 18 years, his constant attempt is to go down into the secrets of Vastu and to utilize them for promoting nature-friendly homes nationally & internationally.
He took a doctorate in vasthu from SCSVMV – University Kanchi. He is also holding the post of ‘Vasthu Consultalnt’ (external) at Kanchi Chandrashekharendra University. Is one of the official ‘Stapathy’ for the Travancore Devaswam Board.
Dr. Mohanakshan Nair
Another of his major work is a translation of ‘Mayamatha’ – the ancient book of vasthu into Malayalam along with Dr. Mohanakshan Nair, the first of its kind in Malayalam. He had already published his own authentic book in Vastu Sastra by the name ‘Vastu Vidhya’.
‘Vastu Vidhya For Contemporary Housing’ is another book with a compilation of his article published in the national daily Hindu. The book written him with the name ‘Kshethravidhanam’ is published by Mahatma Gandhi University and is used as a textbook for students in Vastu Vidhya. ‘Thiruvallavazhu’ is a book written with the study of temple architecture as a tool for studying history, published by him in 2016. He is a regular columnist and online consultant for Manorama publications as well as for the national daily Hindu.
‘Documentation Of South Indian Architecture For Government Of India’ was another major event completed under him. Endogeneous tourism project under UNDP funding. Heritage listing of traditional structures in Kerala are some other assignments he took part
Ancient Indian technique
Ancient Indian technique of building environmentally friendly homes in tune with nature’s invisible forces is called by the name Vastu sastra”. It’s a conglomeration of Art, Architecture, and Spirituality.
The basic principle of vasthu sastra stood on the strong base of “Thanthra sasthra”. Astrology & Nimitha sastra are the other two supporting sastras of Vastu. When someone tries to build his own habitat, he is making a change in the energy flow of the locality which may affect him favorably or adversely. Vastu sasthra helps in utilizing these changes of energy in favor of the builder. It is a technique of creating a good environment around and this in turn will generate noble constructive thinking. These noble thoughts will come out as good deeds and may provide a better future.
Man is a part of nature and he imbibes all the properties of the ingredients of nature. Even though the ultimate is one and only one element. The Indian philosophy categorises everything into three based on its properties, sathva guna, rejo guna, and thamo gunas. The universe is considered to be made up of five constituents like earth, water, fire, air, and ether medium. The effective arrangement of the five ingredients based on three Gunas expresses life on earth. Vasthu too is explained in line with the above philosophy and transferred into an analytical form for design purpose. Since the finding of vasthu many a times came from the sixth sense, we need to be very careful in altering or interpreting the basic principles of vasthu.
Points to be observed while going out for making a home
- If you are going to purchase a land, make sure that the land is direction oriented, never go for a rocky area or filled paddy feild for building construction. Give less preference to land on the banks of river, top of hill, very close to temples and near busy roads or railway track.
- Never try to design your home yourself, seek the help of an expert and feed him with your requirements, so that he can give you good designs strictly adhered to vasthu principle and consuming all modern engineering design concepts.
- And Never make a design with your maximum financial efficiency, consider only 70% of your financial capacity at the stage of planning.
- Then Never make your design based on maximum level of requirements, your need must be based on criteria? little above average routine requirements.
- Construction of house must be finished in one time within your then budgetary capacity. Never think of building your home in a long term plan.
- Try to start the construction at a time when the planetary position in your horoscope is favourable for you. Try to observe the rituals associated with it.
- “Sthanom kanal”-(locating house in a plot) is a very important aspect and which can only be done, if the house is designed in vasthu for that particular plot. For other plans which are not designed in vasthu, they must be corrected based on vasthu and then only the exact location can be found out. All designs are made based on the identified vasthumandala of your plot.
- They Never try to copy a plan already built, because it may not match your plot size or direction of orientation, moreover it is not based on your desire or requirement so it will lack the serenity of the mathematical analysis of vasthu.
- You yourself must make sure that the contractor observes the dimension given in drawing strictly.
- Monitor the quality of work periodically; try to avail a service of an expert supervisor from your part rather than handling an unknown subject by yourself.
- Well need to be dug only after finalising the plan and setting it out in the ground as all upalayas need to be made only after construction of alaya’s.
- Bhoomi pooja and ganapathyhomam are advisable just before kuttiyatickal and vasthubalipooja before first entry in to home.