One of the first Civil Engineer in kerala who venture out into the traditional Indian architecture – ‘Vastu Vidhya’. A proved academician worked as faculty member/ consultant engineer for the one and only premiere institution for vastuvidhya in Government Sector – ‘Vastuvidhya Gurukulam’ ( The declared nodal agency for Vastu Vidhya by Ministry Of Human Resources, Government Of India ) till november 2016. For the last 18 years, his constant attempt is to go down into the secrets of Vastu and to utilize it for promoting nature-friendly homes nationally & internationally. He took doctorate in vasthu from SCSVMV – University Kanchi. He is also holding the post of ‘Vasthu Consultalnt’ (external) in Kanchi Chandrashekharendra University. He is one of the official ‘Stapathy’ for Travancore Devaswam Board.
One of his major work is translation of ‘Mayamatha’ – the ancient book of vasthu in to malayalam along with Dr. Mohanakshan Nair, first of its kind in malayalam. He had already published his own authentic book in Vastu Sastra by name ‘Vastu Vidhya’. ‘Vastu Vidhya For Contemporary Housing’ is another book with compilation of his article published in national daily Hindu. The book written by him with name ‘Kshethravidhanam’ is published by Mahatma Gandhi University and is used as text book for students in Vastu Vidhya. ‘Thiruvallavazhu’ is a book written with study of temple architecture as a tool for studying history, published by him in 2016. He is a regular columnist and online consultant for Manorama publications as well as for national daily Hindu.
‘Documentation Of South Indian Architecture For Government Of India’ was another major event completed under him. Endogeneous tourism project under UNDP funding, Heritage listing of traditional structures in Kerala are some other assignments he took part
The ancient Indian technique of building environmental friendly homes in tune with the natures invisible forces is called by the name Vastu sasthra”. It’s a conglomeration of Art, Architecture and Spirituality.
The basic principle of vasthu sasthra stood on the strong base of “Thanthra sasthra”. Astrology & Nimitha sasthra are the other two supporting sasthras of vastu. When someone tries to build his own habitat, he is making a change in the energy flow of the locality which may affect him favourably or adversely. Vastu sasthra helps in utilizing these changes of energy in favour of the builder. It is a technique of creating good environment around and this in turn will generate noble constructive thinking. These noble thinking will come out as good deeds and may provide better future.
Man is a part of nature and he imbibes all the properties of the ingredients of nature. Even though the ultimate is one and only one element, the Indian philosophy categorise everything in to three based on their properties, sathva guna, rejo guna and thamo guna. The universe is considered to be made up of five constituents like earth, water, fire, air and ether medium. The effective arrangement of the five ingredients based on three gunas express the life in earth. Vasthu too is explained in line with the above philosophy and transferred in to an analytical form for design purpose. Since the finding of vasthu many a times came from sixth sense, we need to be very careful in altering or interpreting the basic principles of vasthu.
Points to be observed while going out for making a home
- If you are going to purchase a land, make sure that the land is direction oriented, never go for a rocky area or filled paddy feild for building construction. Give less preference to land on the banks of river, top of hill, very close to temples and near busy roads or railway track.
- Never try to design your home yourself, seek the help of an expert and feed him with your requirements so that he can give you good designs strictly adhered to vasthu principle and consuming all modern engineering design concepts.
- Never make a design with your maximum financial efficiency, consider only 70% of your financial capacity at the stage of planning.
- Never make your design based on maximum level of requirements, your need must be based on criteria?s little above average routine requirements.
- Construction of house must be finished in one time within your then budgetary capacity. Never think of building your home in a long term plan.
- Try to start the construction at a time when the planetary position in your horoscope is favourable for you. Try to observe the rituals associated with it.
- “Sthanom kanal”-(locating house in a plot) is a very important aspect and which can only be done if the house is designed in vasthu for that particular plot. For other plans which are not designed in vasthu, they must be corrected based on vasthu and then only the exact location can be found out. All designs are made based on the identified vasthumandala of your plot.
- Never try to copy a plan already built, because it may not match your plot size or direction of orientation, moreover it is not based on your desire or requirement so it will lack the serenity of the mathematical analysis of vasthu.
- You yourself must make sure that the contractor observes the dimension given in drawing strictly.
- Monitor the quality of work periodically; try to avail a service of an expert supervisor from your part rather than handling an unknown subject by yourself.
- Well need to be dug only after finalising the plan and setting it out in the ground as all upalayas need to be made only after construction of alaya’s.
- Bhoomi pooja and ganapathyhomam are advisable just before kuttiyatickal and vasthubalipooja before first entry in to home.